Understanding Nutrition (Available Titles CourseMate) 12th Edition PDF ebook Free
Understanding Nutrition (Available Titles CourseMate) 12th Edition PDF Download
Features: Used Book in Good Condition
By (author): Eleanor Noss Whitney, Sharon Rady Rolfes
This best-selling introductory nutrition text is praised for its approachable narrative, engaging presentation, and careful explanations. The new Twelfth Edition of Whitney and Rolfes’ UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION takes the study of nutrition to a new level with an emphasis on active learning, assignable content, and integrated resources. From its beautiful and carefully developed art program to its strong science base, contemporary coverage, and market-leading supplements, the Twelfth Edition of UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION connects with its readers and continues to set the standard for texts in this market. This text includes 20 chapters beginning with core nutrition topics; such as, diet planning, macronutrients, vitamins and minerals, and following with chapters on diet and health, fitness, life span nutrition, food safety, and world hunger. UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION connects with students–engaging them as it teaches the basic concepts and applications of nutrition. Take a fresh look at UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION.
- Series:Available Titles CourseMate
- Hardcover:960 pages
- Publisher:Wadsworth Publishing; 12 edition (2011)
About This Edition
From the Publisher
- “Try It” activities added to this edition accompany the “How To” lessons to promote active learning and encourage users to practice the problem-solving tasks outlined in the “How To” sections. Additional “Try It” activities can be found in CengageNOW and WebTutor for BlackBoard®and WebCT®.
- In this edition, the questions in the “Nutrition Portfolio” feature are now correlated to Diet Analysis Plusand require users to use the dietary tracking information to evaluate and compare their personal dietary choices with dietary goals introduced in the text, exploring how their knowledge and behaviors have changed as their understanding of nutrition science progresses.
- The “Pop-up Tutor” lecture videos developed by Dr. Jessica Coppola at Sacramento City College reinforce key concepts and provide users with further instruction and practice on particularly difficult topics such as metabolism, digestion, and absorption. Users can access the Pop-up Tutors via CengageNOW and WebTutor for BlackBoard and WebCT and through links embedded in the CL eBook and Personalized Learning Plans.
- Detachable Study Cards at the end of the book provide concise summaries of the key chapter concepts along with key figures and study questions. These cards are perforated and designed for users to use as a quick review for exams.
- Highlight in Chapter 4 explores the roles of carbohydrates in weight gain and in weight loss.
- Updated coverage throughout every chapter in the Twelfth Edition presents the field’s latest developments, including:
- A new section that introduces the Healthy Eating Index and evaluates the current American diet against dietary guidelines
- Additional information on nutritional genomics and a new figure illustrating nutrient regulation of gene expression
- Coverage of the ACSM’s 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
- More information on childhood obesity
- Research updates on dozens of other topics
- “Nutrition on the Net” sections provide users with current websites to access additional information about chapter topics.
- Praised by reviewers, Chapter 7, “Metabolism: Transformations and Interactions,” offers a clear, in-depth, and accurate presentation of this difficult nutrition topic, featuring user-friendly use of familiar phrases and attractive art while retaining the level of science that is expected for this course.
- “Nutrition in Your Life” chapter openers introduce and engage users by connecting chapter topics to applications in users’ lives. This feature is revisited at the end of each chapter in the “Nutrition Portfolio” sections.
- At the end of each chapter, “Nutrition Portfolio” sections invite users to evaluate and compare their personal dietary choices with dietary goals introduced in the text. The “Nutrition Portfolio” questions are now correlated to Diet Analysis Plus.
- “How To” sections guide readers through problem-solving tasks, such as calculating energy intake from the grams of carbohydrate, fat, and protein in a food. In this edition, each “How To” feature is accompanied by “Try It” activities for users to practice these skills.